November 5, 2011

Glenn Jones: The Wanting...double LP set...on Thrill Jockey Records... (2011)


I was sleepily floating down the Sunflower River one day on a hollowed out old banyan log shaped like some ancient, neanderthalesque 12 string guitar...

When...all of a sudden..........

With a glass of wine in hand (and two in my belly!), I swooned under the restless spell of timeless guitar music...a dance of life that rained down upon my naked and bleeding soul from vast cotton candy clouds and turquoise sunshine oceans...notes that tickled my ears...like 50 billion vermillion spiders dancing across my starving synapses...nerve endings craving for the taste of delicacies found in out of the way, abandoned, rusty old diners and dusty, snake infested arroyos...train stations situated just on the outskirts of Valhalla...just a short trek down a sand strewn desert highway...where cacti signposts point the way...where scorpions and vultures welcome you once you arrive...

Thus are the feelings that envelop me each time I listen to Glenn Jones The Wanting 2-LP set...



I loathe to bring in comparisons, although Robbie Basho, William Ackerman, Michael Gulezian and Billy Faier (some pretty heavyweight talents IMHO)...immediately come to mind...and Glenn is right up there with those highly esteemed purveyors of musical wizardry...

I will not bore the reader with a song by song description of this double slab of shimmering vinyl delight...Glenns thoughts and notes regarding his music are all we need...let your ears be the judge...and your heart the jury...

Glenn Jones album THE WANTING on Thrill Jockey Records is a certified winner!


Blind Brand X
Vancouver, BC, Canada,
November 4, 2011

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend it folks; i think it's Glenn's best work yet. Charlie Schmidt

    ReplyDelete